I had some serious excitement at home this weekend. Foolish, foolish me threw an Lindt 85% cocoa dark chocolate bar in the trash and then left the trash where my dogs could get in to it. Luckily I was in another room when it happened and not out running an errand so I was able to take immediate steps. (Disclaimer: what follows is what happened to me and the advice my vet gave me. I am not a vet or an expert. Talk to your vet now to find out what you should do if this ever happens to your dog, so you’ll be prepared.) I pretty much freaked out, I called my vets office, got the after hours number and the number for an emergency clinic 45 minutes away. I called the messaging service and between sobs was able to tell the operator why my vet needed to call me. While I was waiting I did some google searches but nothing very helpful came up. I then used my cell phone to call the emergency clinic and let them know what happened. After telling them the size (3.5 oz) and type of chocolate and the size of my dogs, they recommend I bring them in right away. I was informed it would cost me $100 just because it was an emergency plus expenses for what ever they had to do. While I was preparing the dogs, my vet called me back. My vet is a wonderful woman, always calm, bless her. She told me to give the dogs hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting. That there is no “cure” and the only thing to was to get them to vomit. That if they had other symptoms later she could treat those but it was really a matter of getting it out of their system and then waiting. So locating the syringe (no needle) that I use to give them PeptoBismal I herded them out to the yard. I’ll spare you the details but they both eventually vomited and poor little Simon hadn’t actually eaten any chocolate. I wasn’t sure but I wasn’t will to risk it. They are both fine and healthy and I’ve sworn off any type of chocolate!
What I’ve learned:
- chocolate contains theobromine which is poisonous to dogs
- different types of chocolate contain different amounts of theobromine, so some are more poisonous than others
- talk to your vet today about the different poisons your dog could get in to , chocolate, cleaning supplies etc, treatment for each one is different and knowing what action to take and taking it immediately can make a difference.
The guys recovering. Oscar’s not real thrilled with me, but Simon is so pissed he wanted nothing to do with me all night long. I could tell he didn’t feel too good either. But I was just so happy they were ok, I was ok with being ignored.
Some more pics of the cuz I’m just so happy they are alive and well and cuz I’m pretty sure they are the most adorable dogs anywhere 🙂